Religious dedication

Record number: CHEGM: 1999 6 5 1

Object name: religious dedication

Description: Fine altar. On the right side is a Genius, with cornucopia, or horn of plenty, in his left hand, and in his right a patera, now broken away, held over a small altar. On the left side a vase with acanthus leaves, on the back a draped cloth surmounted by fruit. In the focus is a mask, facing the back of the altar, within a wreath.

Period: Roman3rd century not earlier than

Place found: Eastgate Street, Chester

Date: 1693

Material: stone

Dimensions: height 32 inches; width 19 inches

Inscription: PRO SAL DOMIN [...]M NN INVI / CTS SIMORVM / AVG GENIO LOCI / FLAVIVS LONG / TRIB MIL LEG XX [...] / LONGINVS FIL / ILVS DOMO / SAMOSATA / VS
Pro sal(ute) domin[oru]m n(ostrorum) invic[t]issimorum Aug(ustorum) Genio loci Flavius Longu[s] trib(unus) mil(itum) leg(ionis) XX [V(aleriae) V(icticis) et] Longinus fil(ius) eius domo Samosata, v(otum) s(olverunt)
For the welfare of our lords, the most invincible Emperors, to the Genius of the place Flavius Longus, military tribune of the Twentieth Legion Valeria Victrix, and Longinus, his son, from Samosata, fulfilled their vow
The Emperors are either Severus and Caracalla, who reigned together early in the third century, or (less probably) Elagabalus and Alexander who were colleagues for a brief space a few years later. The title dominus was rarely given to Emperors on inscriptions until just before the age of Severus. Samosata, birthplace of the dedicators, is on the upper Euphrates. Latin


  • Grosvenor Museum logo
  • Chester West and Chester logo
  • Weaver Hall logo

Cheshire West and Chester Council 2013