Record number: CHEGM: 1991 232
Description: 'The Lock Gates, Chester' by Charles Ginner (1878-1952), oil on canvas, 1933. This bridge carries South View Roads over the Shropshire Union Canal. In the foreground is the Dee Basin, which leads to the River Dee. Beyond the lock is Tower Wharf Basin, where the canal to Ellesmere Port begins. The two chimneys, now demolished, belonged to a steam saw mill which supplied timber for the boatbuilding yard beside the canal. The Chester Canal was inaugurated in 1772 and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1842. Chester was a thriving canal port throughout the 19th century, but since the 1960's was mainly been used for pleasure craft. Purchased with help from the V&A Purchase Grant Fund and Pilgrim Trust.
Creator: Charles Ginner (1878 - 1952)
Period: 20th century
Dimensions: height 68.6 cm; width 50.8 cm